Sunday, September 13, 2009

What I Really Wanted to Say

All week I have been thinking about what I wanted to document this week. I thought I had it on Tuesday, when I received the nicest card of encouragement in the mail from a close friend and colleague. Thought I would talk about how we needed to connect with and help each other, you know, that "no man is an island" stuff. Then on Wednesday I thought, nope....today is really it....when I was able to successfullly help a senior and her parent understand why as a pending Social Studies major, she really needed to take that AP Calculus class. Thought I would talk about taking the time to help our children see both sides of the coin. Reminding them that anything worth having is worth working for.

Well, what I realized is as the week progressed and I was thinking about what I wanted to say, everyday I had more and more to share. While I admit I was exhausted on Friday thinking of all I need to get accomplished this week....I am always rejuvenated by students. While waking up this morning to a positive article on the front page of the newspaper about my students and their wilingness to give their time and talent to Super Saturday Academy would be enough to have anyone pumped, it is so much more than that for me. I heard myself saying yesterday to the parents and students that I LOVE THIS WORK!!

While I often relish in the growth of the students....I feel it my responsibility to help teachers move from Good to GREAT!! Yes, it's a little hard for me that all teachers don't want to be great...and even worse the ones who think they already are; but it is one of my goals as an Instructional Leader. A little strange, but I get enjoyment out of watching teachers learn and grow together. Most of my teaching staff is new and they are really embracing Professional Learning Communities as a way of life.

I suppose in the end I am ending where I had planned to start. Each one...has to reach one. We are not in this work alone. Seek out those around you who may offer you help. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness but a sign of strength. If you prefer to stay in your clasroom and do it your own way ask yourself a few questions:

1. What do I really want my students to learn
2. What am I going to do when they don't learn it

If you come up with all the answers all by yourself--GREAT, find everybody else and tell them the answer. If not...find a critical friend and work it out together.

Reach for the moon and if you don't make it you will land among the stars.

No comments: