Saturday, November 14, 2009

Staying on cloud 9

This week started with a second round of visits from the Department of Education. I decided that they were going to have to search long and hard to find something me and my team were not already doing (in the words of one of my bosses) for "Children's Sake." Well guess what...THEY COULDN'T FIND A THING. My team, ( academic coaches, administrators and teachers) were ready to talk abou the work. We are working to make a difference for our children and we are doing it at a high level...we were not prepared to let others tell us likewise. The DOE team members referenced some of our work as being examples of the best in the state of Florida....did you get that...the STATE!!!

While I could spend time relishing in the confirmation, some of which I thougth I would never hear from this partciular team, I cannot. We still have so much left to do. We have test to take, tests to make, topics to teach, books to read, parents to call, students to target and the list continues. BUT, we are making it happen. Every day we get closer and closer to our target performance. I BELIEVE IT!!! Everyday, we build our children up to know this test is something they can beat.

So they week was off to a great start, as they came on Monday. I get an email Wednesday Night, which was NO SVHOOL because of Veteran's Day, that million dollar attorney Willie Gary was coming to my school....THE WILLIE GARY. I was screaming at 10:00 at night. The President of his foundation, for this area said, I was so moved by your passion ( he showed up at my school unaannounced to talk about donating money to the school...sounds like music to my ears, so I made time) that I wanted to quickly get Mr. Gary to you. Well, all he had to do is say when he was coming and I was rearranging ANY schedule to make it happen.

See while I have nothing against athletes and entertainers, our children really need to see the kind of accomplishments he has achieved through education and philanthropy. They need to see that beacuse you live in a one bedroom shack, you do not have to resort to drugs and a life a violence. You can rise above your situation and help those less fortunate than you. I know it sounds cliche-ish, but, "You Can Be Somebody."

While this past week was one of excitement and confirmations, this upcoming week will be one to celebrate our successes and comtinue to strategically work our plan. This Thursday we will invite the alumni of this great school to our first Alumni Night. During this time we will showcase some of our great talent, but more importantly, we will remind them of their connection to this school and share with them ways they can partner with us. To Whom Much is Given, Much is Required!!

Until next week.

No comments: