Monday, February 15, 2010

What a difference a "teacher" makes


By the 3rd quarter of our 4 quarter school year, I have observed more teachers than I did the entire year last year. I have always taken pride in the fact that I spent the average of 2 hours a day in classrooms doing observations. Under new accountability measures that has increased to approximately 4 hours a day. Not just for me, but for all administrators that work with me. In a challenged high school, amidst bus duty, cafeteria duty, behavioral interventions and parent conferences, my administrators complete at least 7 -15 minute observations, 3-30 minute observations and 1-90 minute observation. Some weeks we increase 15's and reduce 30's other weeks it's just the opposite...the bottom line...time is spent daily in classrooms completing observations.



I have also always felt that teacher evaluations should be a comprehensive process----that one 30 minute required observation should not be the only determinant that you are not a great teacher, as well it should not be the only determinant that you are "the bomb." I feel that teacher evaluations should truly be a tool for growth, not just another required bureaucratic activity.



Well through consistent classroom observations...I have come to believe this year, more than ever, that "time on task with a qualified instructor" is the only true thing that changes achievement of underperforming students. While technology is great at assisting with the process...the follow-up a child receives from utilizing the technology has a huge impact on performance. This year I have watched teachers connect with students, in our challenged high school, that just did not happen before. I am watching teachers take ownership for students and seeking ways, through collegial conversations and research, to make certain that students "get it." I am watching teachers take risks that move them out of what's comfortable by utilizing student data unlike before. In this last stretch before FCAT one of the most profound things we can do for our students is express to them our genuine belief in their ability to conquer the FCAT. It is so unfortunate that it has become us against the test, but the reality is, it's us against the test. While Urban School Reform has become a "buzz movement", the 2001 ERIC article clearly identifies teachers as the GREATEST contributing factor.

You may ask...what about those who truly don't believe...I am not "Polly-Anna" by any stretch of the imagination...I just believe there are enough who believe the students can to outnumber the naysayers. Under the Florida Differentiated Accountability model our school had to go through "reconstitution" as a result of the 3rd "F grade". Teachers had to re-interview and as a result some were assigned to other schools. Not to imply that all teachers reassigned were poor teachers...but some were not a fit for the work we had ahead for this school year. However, the vast majority of those left were up to the challenge and if they were not they have been surrounded by those who truly believe our students are capable of achieving at high levels and willing to work with them to get there. (And the TRUE NON-BELIEVERS are seeking other options.)


With every fiber of my being I believe our school will get off the F-list this year. With everything in me I believe our children are ready and will perform at their best to make it happen. But if not, I believe because of the hard work of teachers the students will never be the same.


No comments: