Saturday, May 30, 2009

This is why we do it!

Four day weeks are always the longest for me. I start out knowing we have a lot to do and not a lot of time. Well the week is off and running...Thursday, all day principal's meeting, no time for lunch with the pals, Senior Awards night starts at 6:00p.m. A call from the Florida Times Union, test scores in, ours don't look great, want to talk. No time to talk, Senior Awards night at 6:00p.m. AAAAAAAAHHHH the AWARDS night. From an event last year that heralded approximately 10 seniors, to once again, a packed auditorium...about 150 of the 220 graduating class. We found a way to call each students' name for recognition. No referrals, Straight A's, A/B Honor Roll..you name it, they received it. A special gift for each student, personalized USB bracelet from me..Individually wrapped cookies....and they loved every minute of it...as I always say, BIG KIDS, but still KIDS.

Then we get to Thursday night. It's midnight..I am trying to take a nap and I feel like I am being eaten alive by bugs. I jump to the floor run to the mirror...OMG...I must be having an allergic reaction to something. I have never been allergic to anything in my life. Small bite looking marks popping up all over my face, arms, legs, you name it. I dash out the door on the way to the emergency room. I stop to get Benadryl but that doesn't help, so it's 1:00 a.m. I am sitting in the emergency room, itching and crying uncontrollably at the thought of missing another huge awards ceremony for the underclassmen planned for Friday morning....and I am the only one who knows the plan. Three shots later with one going through the IV, I set out for home at 4:40 a.m. No time to rest, my lips must go down, the swelling must go away as I cannot miss this ceremony.

Well I did miss the ceremony...the swelling did not go away and I had to pass the torch to my most efficient team. All day I slept, after 3 full shots of Benadryl what else could I do. In between naps, I checked on the school. One of my assistant principals sent me clips of the awards program...my vision...to fruition...in our gymnasium...I cried!! I said I am going to come when everyone leaves, my second in command assistant principal said as sternly as possible, "NO BOSS, YOU'RE NOT!" For once, I listened.



And this morning I was glad I did. Maybe the day yesterday allowed me to attend the most beautiful baccalaureate service I have ever attended. My students were beautiful...my Bishop was awesome and I left with a renewed faith in this work.








(Bishop Rudoulph McKissick Jr.)





What we do is greater than any profession in the world. I looked out at some of the same students I referenced weeks ago in this same blog, wondering if they would make it...THEY DID!!! I received numerous hugs, and looks through teary eyes, saying "Thank you", "Thanks for not giving up on me", "Thanks for being patient," "You gave me the jolt I needed", What the don't realize is that they continue to give me the jolt I need.

This work is for the love of the game...I love this work, I love my children, I love my job. And in the darkest moments, and those will come, especially as long as there is FCAT, I remember the real reason for showing up everyday.

No comments: