Sunday, June 14, 2009

OPPORTUNITY OF A LIFETIME

A-type personalities get involved in many things and do most well. Fate would have it, that I was privileged to be a part of the planning committee for my class reunion. While at a "kick-off" function, a young lady entered that was familiar to me. I spoke with her briefly, trying to determine who she was looking for and realized, even though familiar, she was not my classmate.

As the night progressed I tried not to look at her, but it puzzled me where I knew her from. Almost simultaneously, I realized and she shrieked my name, at the same time. She screamed, "Is that Ms. Rayborn?"

You see, this young lady had been one of my high school math students. She was always pleasant, but like many of my students, did not enjoy math at all..until they got to my class. But what she said to me next was not about her long term love affair with math. What she said next took me by surprise.

She said to me, " Ms. Rayborn, I just need to tell you thank you. I was so moved by the work you did with us that I now have a non-profit and I work with a group of 40 girls. The name of the group is The Exquisite Ladies." Time stood still. When I was a high school teacher, completing full math certification while also working on my Master's at the same time and doing a home based business, I saw a need that could not be fulfilled in the classroom alone. I saw a group of young ladies who had so much to give and not necessarily a venue to do it in. Even though it was of great sacrifice, I started a female etiquette group called, The Exquisite Ladies. We did everything from workshops on table decorum and public speaking, to community based volunteer events. I loved them and they loved me. Over the years several of them have found me and said thank you, but this one was truly a chance opportunity.

At the end of our conversation she said, " Ms. Rayborn, I didn't know where to find you, but I have always wanted you to come and speak to the girls, so they could see where it all started." I rubbed my arms. In the middle of enjoying classmates and reminiscing on old times I was given an opportunity to see how I had touched the life of at least "one student." My impact. The chill bumps would not go away and as I pen this post, they still have not.

Love them when they don't know how to love themselves. Take time or make time. Know even when you don't see it or can't sense it you are and will continue to make a difference.

No comments: