Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Do We Know Our True Worth?

I spent last week at a Florida Educational Leadership Academy is Tampa, Florida. When you become the principal of a challenged school everybody seems to pull out all stops to try to "salvage" you. Like all of a sudden your change in venue effects your competence. While I can find growth in most professional development opportunities, spending Sunday through Friday in this comprehensive academy had my "educational system" on overload. After not seeing my children for almost a week, I decided we would spend Saturday doing some activities since they missed summer camp because I was away.

We started our escapde by going bowling. I don't know who was happier that our "gutters" were protected, me or them. At any rate, MOMMY WON...by one lousy point. While I wanted to go to the movies, they had greater...more exciting plans...GAMESTOP, for a games for the DS and then dinner at Towncenter after a visit to Barnes and Noble. (Their $10 gift cards were burning their little hands). Because Mommy said, "You can have whatever you like," I added our names to the waiting list at P.F. Chans while we made our way to Barnes and Noble and Sephora ( mommy has to get a few minutes out of the deal).

After 2 hours, we sit down for our long awaited meal. They both knew what they wanted, of course I did, so we ordered and the food was on the way. We enjoyed each other's company and discussed our plans for the upcoming weekend. As my younger was telling the waiter we were finished and needed our check, a young lady knealt down beside me. She said, "I know you, you are Ms. Wright." I thought , OK, this is not the time for a kodak moment. I look like I am on my way to the beach, even though it's 9:00 at night. She said, "I remember you. I am a teacher at --- High School and I remember you from you speaking at our new teacher orientation." She went on to say that a waiter from the restaurant next door, who happens to be an education major, told her about this principal he met in the restaurant a few weekend prior. She said she could tell from the physical description and the attitude description "It could only be Iranetta Wright." (Don't even ask) WOW!!! I've only seen this young lady once, and there were 200 other people there so I don't remember her but she seems to know me well.

She said to me, "I just want you to know I think you are the bomb. I appreciated what you said to us and I know several others did as well. I know you have a challenging situation in front of you but there are a lot of people supporting you." Through somewhat startled eyes, I encouraged her to always do her best and wished her much success on her career in this great profession. My eight year old looked at me in amazement and said, "Mommy, she remembered you, WOW."

WOW is right. As leaders in this great profession, it becomes our duty to help others appreciate the job we have to do. We carry the torch and keep it shining so others will pick it up, give it to others and then connect with them so the torch stays aflame.

At a time when the local media is questioning my ability to truly effect change in our FCAT grade, where my Superintendent is being forced to justify his decision not to remove me based on the state's Differentiated Accountability model, I meet a freelance waitress by night, teacher by day, who takes the time to come over to me and affirm for me my worth to her. My true worth is not in the test scores I raise, but in the lives of the people I touch. Even when we don't know it, somebody is watching!

No comments: