Saturday, February 16, 2013

Capture my thoughts

Over a year ago I shared our story. My intentions were to chronicle our journey but last year got away from me. I do know, however, that my thoughts are worth capturing. I could not be more proud of where we are as a school. Andrew Jackson High School, under our leadership has made history. Our school's F-grade made us a household name in the state. Questions about student performance, teacher quality and my competence riddled throughout our state. Yet, our teachers never gave up and our students worked harder. When school grades posted January 2013 we had moved from the lowest F in the STATE to a grade of "B"...29 points from an A!!! As I talk to my staff, colleagues, mentees, I often end up in a conversation about "how"..."how did you guys really do it?"...."how did you really turn Andrew Jackson around?" The truth is there is not just one answer. Reform literature talks about changing culture, focusing on teacher quality and "getting the right people on the bus." While we did all of those things we have also built quality relationships with students, focused on their data and helped them realize they are not "F" students even though their school's grade posed a challenge. So where do we go next? I am so energized our school's progress. At the beginning of this school year our community partners have invested in our school in a grand way.... The University of Florida, The Jacksonville Jaguars, The Bridge of Northeast Florida, just to name a few. National organizations such as City Year have entered our school ny way of support of our community and school district and are making a difference daily with our students. So where do we go next...only up!! I'm baaaaacccckkkk!!! This time...for good. Stay tuned.

No comments: